Wednesday 13 February 2013

LAVENTILLE: A Big Community, Very Little Space.....

       Within the urban city of Port-of-Spain, there is a distinct split between the upper class and lower class in the community. I noticed this split within the city one day as I made my way down Fredrick Street. I decided to take a closer look at this difference. As I left home for school one day, I noticed large houses, open yards and huge gates. My journey continued through city gate and up the bus route. As I headed east, I noticed the deterioration of the houses as well as the housing settlements.

       This picture was taken in city gate, Port-of-Spain, of Laventille; a community that lies on the outskirts of Port-of-Spain. In the distance, on the hills, you can see an array of houses dotted all over the hill. There is very little space between these houses, thereby portraying how 'cramped' the community of Laventille really is. 
      With all the resources that are found within Trinidad and Tobago, it is unfair to see the poor quality of housing located on the east of the city, compared to that of the west. Why is it that two halves of a city can be completely different? With all the growth in the growth in the economy and the expansion of the city, is it not strange to see more development taking place within west Port-of-Spain? 
     Think about what could be done if resources were divided equally.......
Chantel

1 comment:

  1. Disparities are seen, as a community so close to the city of Port -of -Spain with problems on all levels. Good post!

    ReplyDelete